Abandoned Prosperity

America, for all its supposed wealth and prosperity, has many abandoned places. From natural disasters, to foreclosures, to budget cuts, to rebuilding; I've seen quite a few in my short life-time. All across this vast country people are homeless, when there are many buildings and places that could be "repurposed" to house them. This blog is all about the places I've lived and explored, over the past 50 years. It also involves other things of interest to me, which will become apparent as I continue along. Most places and events I can only remember and have no photographs of them. Currently, I'm active in exploring the current state I live in, Tennessee, when time permits me to do so. Follow along in my foot-steps as I clambour over and sometimes into the abandoned debris of our society...from junkyards to cellars to my own mind.

Friday, March 5, 2021

How Not To Install A Subfloor PT. 2

Continuing from Part 1 of the kitchen remodel/repair/rebuilding of the subfloor...the missing and loose pieces all replaced and properly screwed down, I set upon fixing the really bad areas...the actual HOLES in the floor, itself. It was my realtor that pointed pout the "soft" area in front of the dishwasher. What I found when I took up the vinyl flooring was, well, a big...gaping...HOLE! I mean, there were scraps of wood just "balanced" on the main beam with nothing to attach it to anything! What...the...fuck? I checked for any further damage, found none and got creative at repairing this...
After wedging in a few extra pieces of scrap wood, I sealed up everything with sa thick layer of silicon, smoothed it out and let it dry. Now I was ready for the next cave...er...hole repair. Why anyone would knock a hole in the floor and the base-board to create a vent opening for a dyer, is beyond me. I mean, a standard dryer vent hose wouldn't even fit in this thing! I had purchased a proper vent assembly about a month after I moved in, for later installation (which I will get to, eventually). The repair trick here (since there was nothing to build upon), was for me to insert a few screws into the original floor and attach a piece of wood over them...sort of balancing act, if you will. This piece was then screwed down and the rest of the hole sealed up with more silicon. I was now ready to install the new flooring, once everything was nice and dry.
And there you have it. With the main floor now in place, I can concentrate on installing new sub-flooring in the hall and pantry areas (where there currently is no subfloor at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment