Abandoned Prosperity

America, for all its supposed wealth and prosperity, has many abandoned places. From natural disasters, to foreclosures, to budget cuts, to rebuilding; I've seen quite a few in my short life-time. All across this vast country people are homeless, when there are many buildings and places that could be "repurposed" to house them. This blog is all about the places I've lived and explored, over the past 50 years. It also involves other things of interest to me, which will become apparent as I continue along. Most places and events I can only remember and have no photographs of them. Currently, I'm active in exploring the current state I live in, Tennessee, when time permits me to do so. Follow along in my foot-steps as I clambour over and sometimes into the abandoned debris of our society...from junkyards to cellars to my own mind.

Monday, March 1, 2021

A Murder Mystery

As a Facebook Oxford, MA. group member and former resident of Oxford,MA., I like to contribute what I have or can find that relates to the town and citizens, both past and present, not just from my own photos and experiences in the short time I lived there. I culled the story below from an on-line copy of Startling Detective Adventures, vol.5 no.26, July, 1930. It was published a year after the events of this particular crime. I've tried in vain to find more references but have only been able to find a (not so convincing) follow-up article from the Orlando Sentinel, from 1996. Mind you, I'll rely on the magazine's article from 1929. Asking other group members: does anyone have any other infomation about this or know where to find any? Does the Allen Farm still exist, to-day? The building in the picture does look familiar but I can't place it, geographically. At any rate, have a read. And to note: the photo on the second page was staged for the article. All other photos are believed to be authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment