Abandoned Prosperity

America, for all its supposed wealth and prosperity, has many abandoned places. From natural disasters, to foreclosures, to budget cuts, to rebuilding; I've seen quite a few in my short life-time. All across this vast country people are homeless, when there are many buildings and places that could be "repurposed" to house them. This blog is all about the places I've lived and explored, over the past 50 years. It also involves other things of interest to me, which will become apparent as I continue along. Most places and events I can only remember and have no photographs of them. Currently, I'm active in exploring the current state I live in, Tennessee, when time permits me to do so. Follow along in my foot-steps as I clambour over and sometimes into the abandoned debris of our society...from junkyards to cellars to my own mind.

Friday, August 14, 2015

4321 McKamey Rd.


FOR SALE! 4 bed, 2 bath rancher! That's it, above. At least from the outside. I'll spare you the inside pics. I'm currently looking for a new home in the Knox area. Something a bit closer to work. I'd like to cut my commute time in half. I'd also like something that's a bit more "move in ready". The house at 4321 McKamey Rd. is far from that. And as I'm trying to get a loan through the VA, the house wouldn't qualify anyway but, was still worth a look. The house does have some major problems. Like uneven front concrete stairs (that are currently crumbling), not to mention that they're no handrails...


...there are also broken windows that need replacing as well as an illegal outside electrical outlet, not to mention the work needed to repair the rear decking...




...one good thing is that the a/c until appears to be a newer model...


...the roof appears newer but whoever did the work forgot to repair the soffets...


...and though there was no disclosure list in hand, someone decided to write one on the kitchen wall. I was there with a trio of other potential buyers. When we read the line about mold in the attic, they couldn't clear out of the house fast enough, heh, heh...


...and also according to the disclosure, the house needs all-new plumbing and wiring. The roof is a couple years old and the windows are four years old. Oh yeah...and KUB (Knoxville Utility Board) apparently has a lien on the 3 year-old a/c unit. Hokay! So, obviously, I won't be putting in an offer on this house.

Other things to note about this property...it does have over 4 acres of land but...it's all uphill behind the house. Also, the driveway will cause any car to bottom out both entering and exiting (yes, I did check my car for damage and no worries, there.) The driveway is also on a blind corner. I know older homes can have issues and this one certainly does. I also don't mind doing a bit of fixing-up but this house would take me too long to re-do by myself. Oh well. On to the next property...

No comments:

Post a Comment