Abandoned Prosperity

America, for all its supposed wealth and prosperity, has many abandoned places. From natural disasters, to foreclosures, to budget cuts, to rebuilding; I've seen quite a few in my short life-time. All across this vast country people are homeless, when there are many buildings and places that could be "repurposed" to house them. This blog is all about the places I've lived and explored, over the past 50 years. It also involves other things of interest to me, which will become apparent as I continue along. Most places and events I can only remember and have no photographs of them. Currently, I'm active in exploring the current state I live in, Tennessee, when time permits me to do so. Follow along in my foot-steps as I clambour over and sometimes into the abandoned debris of our society...from junkyards to cellars to my own mind.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Is It Spring yet?


Despite the lingering cold and lack of snow, the robins are out and about here in Massachusetts. I had a couple fly in front of my car just yesterday and I had to wonder...either they're lost or they're just so accustomed to the cold, that they never left. Or perhaps they know something we don't. Everywhere I go, it seems, I hear the age-old griping about the "damn" cold. Yes, it has been a rather colder year than most. Even NOAA got it wrong as they had predicted a much warmer winter than it actually has been. But then I've been saying for years that you just can't predict the weather. But as we are oft to say here in New England, "If you don't like the weather just wait a couple of minutes." How true that is.

 I had to laugh at the latest weather report for the southern states, that implied or "predicted" that the highs would be in the 70's. Above average for the time of year but, considering the mess that Atlanta went through with all that ice a couple weeks back, I'm sure it'll be more than welcome to bask in the suns rays. That's when I laughed and remembered that, we do that up here when it's in the 20's, as long as the sun is out and the wind is low. Hell, even the hard-core bikers come out to play!

But if you have a bad case of "cabin fever", don't worry too much. It'll be over soon...maybe. I mean, I've seen it snow up here in May, for crying out loud! And lest we forget, we can still get a major snow-dumping in March or April... So, if you're tired of looking at the dirty snow and ice, just concentrate on the picture of Brierly Pond above and think warm thoughts :)

1 comment: